Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Last Comic Standing - Air Date June 6

Where's Jay Mohr?!? Anthony Clark seemed like an okay host during the auditions, but now it seems like it's a good thing he has that Yes, Dear money to fall back on. It felt like someone pushed him on to the stage with a hearty "Okay, now HOST!"
Why not try Tim Meadows instead? It's not like he doesn't have time on his hands. First there was Gameshow Marathon, and now he's a "celebrity talent scout." Nice lack of the word "judge" in that job description, by the way, considering season 2's controversy over how little say the celebrity judges had. Maybe that explains why there was only one actual stand-up comic on the panel this time around.

So we're down to the final 40, with 20 comics showcased tonight, five of whom will go on to the house, and the other 20 on the next episode.
There is absolutely no way to do any planning or plotting at this point. Be funny is all there is. Some of the comics did that well, some not so much. The bad were still better than the bad comedians in the audition round, but bleh, not for me. I jotted down the names of those I enjoyed and actually laughed with or thought may have left an impression with the audience, and didn't bother with the rest. Not a bad method, because four of the five people who made it to the house are on the list, even if I didn't find them funny. Sad to say, I only cared about two of the people who made it, and thought others got the shaft.
Saleem? Funny, didn't make it.
Theo Von? Funnier than I thought he was in the auditions, didn't make it.
Chip Chinery? Funny, but I'm glad he didn't go on otherwise I'd be stuck with "Chip Chinery, Chip Chinery, Chip Chin-Chery" stuck in my head for the rest of the season.
Wild Willy Parsons? Very funny with a different look, and I have to wonder if his look may have held him back due to the producers wanting specific people to go into the house.
Nikki Glazer is great. Shades of Sara Silverman in her act, and that's what likely held her back. This is national broadcast television on prime time, after all, and that much edgy isn't something NBC wants, especially when they're trying to bring in a wider audience.
So looking at the comics who have advanced to the next round...
Roz. She's funny, and a good choice to go on.
Josh Blue. The act of the night, cerebral palsy or not. Hilarious set, it would have been a crime if he didn't get past this episode.
Then there are the ones who I feel didn't deserve moving on, based largely on what they did tonight, but a couple didn't impress me in the auditions either.
Chris Porter was the biggest disappointment of the episode. During the auditions he was great, someone I thought had the potential to go on the way. What do we get tonight? Tired French-bashing jokes. Is my calendar running fast? Is it really still 2003? It was bad, just bad.
Joey Gay is someone I didn't find funny in the auditions and I don't find funny now. He's just loud and annoying. It's easy to see then why the producers want him in the house, but wouldn't funny be better for Last Comic Standing than just having characters around?
And finally April Macie. She's the one whose name I didn't bother writing down as she didn't amuse me. Granted there would be at least two women going through to the house, again the producers want a certain mix and so expect two or three women from the next episode make it, but April? Nikki Glazer was robbed here. Heck, Tig Notaro was funnier and someone whose name I did write down, but she probably looked a little too lesbianish for the wide audience appeal (and you know them gays are a-comin' to gitcha!). Jackie Kashian would also have been a better choice.

It's not too late to make up for one of the upsets. Go to NBC.com and you can vote for someone to go back on the show. The only one I didn't care for was Doug Mellard, but the rest of the choices you can't go wrong with, especially Nikki Glazer or Willie Parsons.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tabby said...

She's a comedian. Comedians aren't the most emotionally healthy people on the planet. :)

I can't remember who got the audience votes in the previous rounds. That should be something I keep track of, huh?

6/07/2006 10:42 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home