Saturday, August 05, 2006

Interview with Alonzo Bodden of Last Comic Standing 2 & 3

As the current season of Last Comic Standing comes to a close we look back fondly not just on the current season but on seasons past. One of the funniest people we met from those shows was Alonzo Bodden, who did pretty well in season 2 then went on to win the whole thing in season 3. Despite the hectic travel schedule of a working comedian, Alonzo was kind enough to take the time to answer a few questions for Realivision.

***

Hello, Alonzo, and thank you for your time. How long have you been in the business?

13 years its been fun

Who are your influences as a comic?

There are many from Bill Cosby, to Robin Harris, George Carlin(my highest compliment was being called one of the "spawn of Carlin" in Playboy) George Wallacce, Dom Irrera. I've learned from watching and doing

Has your time on Last Comic Standing helped boost your career?

Hugely It was my introduction to America and apparently America likes me. Winning a bunch of money never hurt either

You did very well, so Im not sure if youd know the answer to this one, but does doing poorly on the show, especially bombing, hurt someones career or is any publicity and exposure as a comic a good thing?

I don't know, I didn't bomb:) I don't think it would hurt too much. People remember the last time they see you so some may remember you as bad but most times they just remember you were on TV

A belated congratulations on winning Last Comic Standing 3, though thanks to the way it ended it took some searching to find out you did win. Did that put a damper on the celebration?

It did in the sense i didn't get the publicity that goes with winning so most people think of John as the last winner and say to me, sorry , or "you should have won" thats a little frustrating.
On a personal note, it felt good to win and I felt somewhat vindicated. The cool thing was both seasons many comics picked me to win. Nice to get respect of peers

Comedians must come across each other all the time on the road, so there may well have been people you were already familiar with before competing. Did your time on the two seasons forge any new friendships?

Some of my best new friends from the show are Kathleen Madigan and Tammy Pascatelli and corey Holcomb. I didn't know Corey or Kathleen before the show. John and I had competed on Star search but we got to know each other on the show. Ant was a new friend too. I knew Tammy but got to know her much better. I tried to get some rumors going about us but no one would buy it. I guess its hard to start your own rumors

After the abrupt finish to LCS3, I was very shocked to see commercials for a new season. You made a couple of appearances on the show, once as a past winner and once as a judge. Were you surprised to get the call?

Not really I really wanted to host the show. I hold no grudges. Networks do thngs like cancel shows all the time . They really ripped off the fans following the show more so than me. I mean I still got the cash:)
The really funny thing is once NBC got panned for cancelling it, no one took responsibility, no one made the decision. They all turned into congressmen

Speaking of your appearance as a judge, you won the Friars roast challenge on season 2 and were one of the celebrity judges this season. One of my favourite comics this season was Kristin Key and I had her picked as one of the final three. Shes a funny woman, so it really caught me off guard by how bad she bombed in that challenge. What went wrong, how much was editing, and whats the secret (other than being very funny) to doing a good roast?

To roast you have to like someone and be funny but not mean. I think you hit everyone on the dais with one joke then roast the guest of honor. Maybe Kristen hasn't been doing it long enough to write that kind of stuff on one days notice. Thats about all you get on the show. She is funny. she'llbe fine

You killed on Last Comic Standing and I'd love to see you perform live. Where can I go to find out your tour dates?

My calender is on myspace at alonzoboddencomedy and on my website, alonzobodden.com

What if youre not going to be in my area for a while? How can we watch you then?

Check out my DVD "Tall Dark and Funny" or my CD "Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time". I also am on TV more and more, which is cool. Check my site for dates and times or sign up to my page on myspace and get bulletins

Which comics working today do you really enjoy watching?

Jeremy Hotz, Chris Rock, Lewis Black, Ddave Chapelle, Harland Williams, Vince Morris, the list goes on and on

Favourite hotel/motel chain?

I dunno, Hyatt

Favourite place to eat on the road?

Anywhwere I can eat free

Thank you very much, Alonzo, and I really hope to catch you live soon (you do tour Canada, I hope)!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home