Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Interview with Melissa Witek from NBC's Treasure Hunters

As all of you may know, we at Realivision are big fans of NBC's Treasure Hunters, and amongst our favourite teams so far is Team Miss USA. We won't lie, we went in with some preconceptions of pageant contestants, but they've been giving us a big slap upside the head and proving us horribly, horribly wrong. Taking time from her busy schedule to answer some questions is Miss Florida USA 2005, Melissa Witek.

***

Hi, Melissa, and thanks for joining us! Could you please tell us a little about yourself?

Well, that's a broad question! In a nutshell, I'm a former pageant girl and a former business owner. I started my own company in 2003 and recently got out of it. Now I work for world-renowned artist Bill Lopa and UCC Galleries as a sales exec. When I'm not working, I love playing tennis and surfing the 'net (I'm a computer geek).

As Miss Florida USA, you were able to represent your home state in the Miss USA pageant. How was that experience, and how did you do?

Winning Miss Florida USA was really cool! I went into that pageant not really expecting to win. I thought it would be great just to make the Top 15! Little did I know that I would pull it off. My reign was awesome. I made appearances throughout the state (mostly charity events) about 3 or 4 days a week. I put 30,000 miles on my car in 8 months, but I helped to raise over $10 million for local and statewide charities. Best of all, I placed as 4th runner-up at Miss USA. So crazy! It was a very rewarding year.

How long have you been participating in pageants?

My first pageant was in 2002. I won Miss Florida Gator. After that, I did 2 more that finally qualified me to compete for the title of Miss Florida USA. So I wasn't a veteran in the pageant world. Some of those girls have been competing since they were babies! No Jon Benet Ramsey from me.

Do you have any plans to continue competing? If not, what do you do now and what are your future plans?

I'm done competing. It was a great year, but it's time for me to move on. Treasure Hunters was a great step forward after my reign was over. Maybe a career in entertainment (reporter or host). Or maybe something out of the spotlight for a change. I'm not sure. We'll see what happens with the show.

What advice do you have for anyone planning on competing in pageants?


Be yourself! A lot of girls think they have to be a certain way in order for them to win. They model their hair, makeup, and dress styles after other girls instead of portraying their natural self to the judges. The judges will see right through it. Be unique and confident in yourself.

You along with Kaitlyn (Miss Indiana USA) and Kristen (Miss Kentucky USA) were all fellow participants in Miss USA. Is that how you met, and how did you come together for Treasure Hunters?

Kristen actually judged Kaitlyn in a pageant awhile back! They knew each other, but I first met them at Miss USA. After the pageant, the casting directors contacted Kristen and asked her to put together a team of three pageant girls. They already had a short list of contestants from which they wanted audition videos...I was one of them...and Kristen gave them a few other names of girls that she would love to have on her team, including Kaitlyn. I don't know how many were being considered, but they narrowed it down after they received everyone's tapes. Then the three of us flew to LA for final tryouts and obviously made the cut! We get along great and we have so much fun with each other. Never a dull moment...

Understanding that you're very limited with how much you can discuss the show, the most controversial team to have come out of the season so far are the Fogals (we have fun with them here, but we understand that they're only human). How have things been with them since the show?

The Fogals are nice people. There was some tension on the show, but things have changed now that we aren't in a competition environment. I email back and forth with Mama Fogal quite regularly (Kristen does, too). I think they understand where they went wrong.

There has been a lot of criticism of Treasure Hunters for trying to be like The Amazing Race, but at the same time there has been criticism that it's not enough like that show. What do you think of this comparison?

It's a catch-22. Do you want TH to be like TAR or not? The critics drive me nuts sometimes (not you though...haha). In my opinion, TH is very different from TAR and shouldn't be compared to it. Critics should judge it on it's own merits, not on how they like TAR's host better or how they like TAR's locations better. We are not TAR. We are a show that pairs athleticism with brains with history with unique locations. But if critics insist on saying it's a copy of TAR, at least we are a smarter version of it.

Could you please tell us about your website, teammissusa.com?

Check out the web site! We've got lots of pictures...candid shots from our appearances and some modeling pictures...as well as a chat forum. We're always online so we'll be able to answer your questions pretty quickly. We also have an online store where we're selling items with our logo and slogan on them...FORGET THE CROWN, WE WANT THE TREASURE :)

Do you see your website growing and branching out after the season ends?

We plan to keep TeamMissUSA.com online. We might add some TH type puzzles, as well as a live chat. We'll keep you posted.

You are a pianist. What's your favourite piece of music to play?


Classical is fun, but my fingers just don't work like they used to! Lately, I've been writing my own music. And then someone on the Team Miss USA forum said that Kristen and I should have a piano duel (she plays, too)....stay tuned for the results of that one!

Other than Treasure Hunters, of course, what's your favourite television show?


There are other shows on TV? :)

Where's the best place to read recaps of Treasure Hunters episodes (hee hee!)?


Hmmm, that's a tough one. j/k

Favourite junk food?

Toss up between gourmet jelly beans and swedish fish.

Favourite soft drink?

Diet coke. Breakfast of champions.

After the last episode that aired before writing these questions, the July 3 episode, you were in second place. Congratulations on that, and good luck in the rest of the hunt, and thank you for your time!

Thanks, Tabby! Your da best!

***

Treasure Hunters airs Mondays on NBC in the United States and Global in Canada.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home