Sunday, May 28, 2006

An interview with Marcellas Reynolds

With over three weeks left until we find out who the candidates are to enter the house for Big Brother: All-Stars, the anticipation is building amongst fans and I'm certainly no exception. And hey, if we're going to post before the season begins, we're not just going to give you filler! This one is a nice little entry for our second ever post...
If you're going to compile a list of All-Stars from Big Brothers past, one name should be consistantly at the top. Marcellas Reynolds, star of Big Brother 3 and host of House Calls: The Big Brother Talk Show on CBS.com. Marcellas was kind enough to take some time out of his schedule to answer some questions for Realivision.

***

First off, the question on everybody's mind... Are you one of the candidates to go into the house, will you be hosting House Calls, or have the producers worked out some way for you to do both? I understand you may not be able to answer this question until after June 21st.

I have been asked to do Big Brother All-Stars. I'm not an employee of CBS. Saying that about me is like saying William Petersen of CSI works for Les Moonves. I'm an actor/TV host. I get paid as an independent contractor. I shot a pilot for Lifetime. If that gets picked up before the vote to go back into the Big Brother house I'll do that show. If I don't get chosen to go back into the Big Brother house I'll do House Calls. Simple.

If you do go into the house again for All-Stars and are unable to host House Calls, who would you like to see keep your chair warm until you get back?

Gretchen alone! No I'm joking. I like James from Season 6, Jase from Season 5 and Will from Season 5. I also think Michael from Season 6 would be good though he didn't stay in the house very long.

Again, assuming you were to go back in the house, other than the obvious (we know you'd use the Veto this time, you rascal), what would you do differently, if anything?

This time I wouldn't trust people so easily. I won't take things @ face value as I did the first time. I learned from Season 3 that women can lie, Christians can cheat. I'll put myself first more. I'm still going to be funny and outrageous. I'll still talk smack! Not that much has changed.

This season is going to have a much different dynamic than previous seasons, because everyone will, if not know each other personally then are at least going to be aware of each other. How do you think this will change the style of the game play?

I think this season is going to be cut-throat and crazy. We each know now what the money can do. We also know how far we each will go for the money. And I truly believe that at the end of the day we know it's just a game. I think that will make it much more make or break.

Not saying who will be going back in, but who would you like to see in the All-Stars House?

No one from Season 1. Will, Nicole and Hardy Season 2. Me, Danielle and Amy Season 3. Alison, Erika and Justin Season 4. Jase, Diane and Drew Season 5. Janelle, James and Eric Season 6. I think that's a good mix of big personalities and competitors.

No other former House Guest has been as involved with Big Brother as you have, at least not in the public eye. In all the seasons you've been watching and participating, how has your perception of the game changed?

I think the game has become much more mean-spirited since season 3. Maybe BB3 was the jump-the-shark season but since then there has been very little fun. I wanna see people compete of course but I also wanna see people try to get along. And have fun. I also think the some fans have gotten a bit out of control. I'm a fan. I watch the show and I remember I don't know the House Guests. And @ the end it's just entertainment.

You took a lot of flack at the end of season 6 for not ripping members of the Friendship apart while they were on House Calls. While the vast majority of fans are reasonable and normal people, did this give you an insight into the darker side of fans, or was this something you've already been familiar with having been around since season 3?

I've seen the ugliest parts of human nature since BB3. I got the hate mail because I am Black and because I am homosexual. I've had people follow me into the loo to tell me I got played because I didn't use the veto. It's been almost 4 years and people still refer to me as an idiot because I trusted 2 other people. Because I believed my alliance, my friends wouldn't hurt or lie to me. I think the Internet makes cowards brave. Things they would never say to someones face they will type. It's sad. But I believe ugliness comes back to you. I host House Calls. I'm paid to be funny and irreverent. @ the end of the show I go home and put it away. I don't wish the HGs any harm or ill will because they are there to entertain. Without them I'd have no gig. So bash and trash 'em (gently) because it's fun but remember do unto others.

On a brighter note, what are your fondest memories from your season?

I remember laughing. I remember falling in love with Amy and Danielle. I remember being excited to be on TV. To be performing. I remember so many great conversations. And hoping it would never end.

What have you been up to since the end of last season's House Calls?

Well I shot Remixed for BET. The show did so well. It was a dream come true to be the host of my own show. I've worked for E! and the Style Network several times. I've covered events for CBS of course and shot a pilot for Lifetime. I work all the time. Tons of auditions. Things are really good. I never dreamed I'd live in Beverly Hills and have a TV career and just be happy. I'm blessed and don't take anything for granted. I work with several charities and that's so important to me.

Have you got any non-Big Brother projects lined up that you can share with us?

Gosh I just shot a make-over show pilot. I've got 2 producing partners and we have a few show ideas we're developing. I'm taking driving lessons. I've always lived in big cities or abroad and never learned to drive. I have to now. It's getting ridiculous not driving in L.A. I'm looking @ hybrids. And I'm toying with buying an apartment. It's time.

Does Marcellas Reynolds have anyone special in his life, or still looking?

I am dating a few guys. It's fun being single in L.A. I was out today shopping with a friend and literally met 2 guys! It's crazy here. But I'm looking for the one. I'm tired of 1st dates. I'm tired of players and being a player. I'm ready to settle down, get married and have some kids.

Boxers or briefs?

Commando. Free-style baby. If I must briefs.

Coke or Pepsi?

Pepsi. It's sweeter.

Favourite Arquette, and why?

I love Patricia Arquette. Medium is one of my favorite shows. I've met David several times and he's very nice but for me it's all about Patricia.

Favourite Baldwin, and why?

Alec is super talented but seems like an ass. Stephen was once gorgeous but now he looks bloated and that religious conversion thing is crazy. William was cute too but what the hell happened to him? He married Chyna Phillips and fell off the face of the Earth. I'd say my fave is Daniel. He's big and kinda sexy. He was never "the cute one" so he never lost anything.

I've never done an interview (okay, technically it's a questionaire) before, and this does seem rather short. So as an interviewing virgin, I guess I should ask a classic... If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?

If I were a tree I'd be Mahogany. And if I could remake any movie, I'd remake Mahogany. And yeah I wanna play the main character!

Thank you very much, Marcellas, and good luck in all your endeavours!

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Interview. I've never heard this "what tree would you be?" question before, very interesting lol.

5/28/2006 8:53 a.m.  
Blogger Marcellas said...

It was fun! Thanks so much!

M

5/28/2006 6:35 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice interview shutterbug. Goodway to get the blog out there. With it being on marcs board, people will see it and possibly the blog will be spread to other sites :) Cause we are very fortunate to have ur thoughts posted somewhere thats real easy to find.

5/28/2006 9:13 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this! I love Marcellas!

5/29/2006 7:31 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would LOVE to see Marcy on All Stars. He's got ten thousand votes!

5/29/2006 9:07 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"MY" ten thousand votes, I meant ...

5/29/2006 9:52 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an ass. For most of SOS he has talked so much smack about The Friendship and repeatedly says he would give them a piece of his mind when they come on. When they do he kisses their butt all the way downtown.
Boo Marcellas >:(

5/29/2006 11:07 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get that folks are upset that the fiendship didn't get nailed on house calls. However what would have been the point? Obviously they have gotten theirs on the street and on the net why else would they all have disappeared. Marcy didn't need to do it. He is right what goes around comes around. What you put out there comes back to you.

5/30/2006 5:58 a.m.  
Blogger Bob Rose said...

Very cool interview with a very cool man, who is the heart and soul and conscience of Big Brother. I wish him the best! And kudos to Realivisision for getting this great interview

5/30/2006 8:39 a.m.  
Blogger Tabby said...

Anonymous three posts up, I'd appreciate it if you didn't call people who take the time to give me an interview an ass around here. I'm leaving anonymous posting available for now, but I will remove it if it gets abused. Disagree with him if you want, be as disappointed as you want that in the end he treated the Friendship as human beings, but if you're going to insult anyone, at the very least sign your name.

5/30/2006 11:41 a.m.  
Blogger Tabby said...

Anonymous posting has been turned off. If you're going to rip into Marcellas, you're going to have to be brave enough to sign your name to it. I've also enabled comment moderation, but that doesn't mean I won't let the mean stuff get through. It just means if I think it's too horrendous, then I won't let it through. Or if I start to get bored with hypocrisy or whining about a season that ended months ago. Of if it's the same tired crap over and over again.


Gypsylass...
'Alec is super talented but seems like an ass. Stephen was once gorgeous but now he looks bloated and that religious conversion thing is crazy. William was cute too but what the hell happened to him? He married Chyna Phillips and fell off the face of the Earth. I'd say my fave is Daniel. He's big and kinda sexy. He was never "the cute one" so he never lost anything.'

That's "ripping them apart"? Wow, you must be thin-skinned. He said nice things about William (who doesn't seem to be around much anymore) and Daniel. Alec DOES seem like an ass. Everything I've ever heard about him says that he's not the nicest person to be around, but he is seriously talented. There's no news in that comment. That leaves Stephen. He looks bloated. Horrors! Marcellas never said he looks hideous. He made a simple comment. And Marcellas, the Christian, isn't making fun of the religion of Stephen, the Christian, but commenting on the extremity of the conversion, which ranks right up there with Kirk Cameron's for over the top.

But that's all neither here nor there. I can only think of one reason you have such hostility towards the man. You are one of the many, countless whiners who got all blubbery when he didn't tear the hearts out of the Friendship at the end of the season. Oh, he's betrayed us! Boo hoo!
Seriously, grow up you friggin' hypocrite.

5/30/2006 4:48 p.m.  
Blogger Tabby said...

Horrendous? No. Whiney and sad? Yes. Impatient much? Believe it or not, I have things to do other than sit around waiting for people to comment. Speaking of which, any new comments will have to wait until tomorrow.

5/30/2006 5:59 p.m.  
Blogger Tabby said...

Much appreciated, Bago, but now that I've had the night to adjust to all the negativity this interview aroused (honestly, wow, it caught me off guard), I want to try and defuse any tensions around here. For myself, I can take whatever's dished out. I just didn't care for the attacks on someone who was nice enough to do an interview for a brand new blog.

And shhhh! Hits are good! Now if only people would read the REST of the blog! Go, people! Read! There's stuff on The Apprentice and So You Think You Can Dance? as well!

5/31/2006 10:25 a.m.  
Blogger Tabby said...

Don't get me wrong, I've been blogging since 2001/2002, and wouldn't still be doing it if I didn't love the writing. It's just nice to have other people see it sometimes. :)
But when it comes down to it, I'd rather have no hits than completely compromise myself (which doesn't mean I can't apologize if I'm in the wrong on something).

5/31/2006 3:14 p.m.  
Blogger Tabby said...

I was originally going to reject Moolah's comment as it's one of the stupidest things I've ever read, but I decided to go ahead and post it as it's truly one of the stupidest things I've ever read, as a little blog about reality game shows and an interview with someone who was on one of those shows is exactly the same thing as interviewing bin Laden.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go rest my eyes as they're threatening to roll all the way back into my head.

6/01/2006 8:24 a.m.  
Blogger Tabby said...

Ouch. I guess I've been told. I'm not sure what differentiates an "imitation" blog from a real blog, but oh well.

Let me see if I can lower my cerebral functions to this idiot's level... Moolah's Take, you're worse than Hitler!

That you're so friggin' worked up over this interview and Marcellas is truly pathetic. And you keep coming back! This is my blog, so I have an excuse. Other than being borderline retarded and slightly insane, what's yours?

6/01/2006 9:49 p.m.  
Blogger Marcellas said...

Wow! I hadn't been back. This is just so funny and great and kind and then sad. Some people say such nice things and that makes this all so worthwhile. Then you get people who twist my words for their own motives (the Baldwin bros question) or the haters who are just crazy (don't mention it's name and block it's posts, that's what I do @ my blog).

T the blog looks great and from all the heat here and at so many other reality sites, you are off to a great start. I'm glad I could help!

Smooches as ever.

M

6/02/2006 12:47 a.m.  
Blogger Tabby said...

No worries, as I have now started rejecting Moolah's comments. The last one started edging towards homophobic and racist, plus he or she is getting boring and sucking all the fun out of what was supposed to be a silly and fun blog. But I'm not going to stop.

You see, Moolah, this blog isn't a democracy nor is it government run, so your First Amendment rights don't apply hear. Freedom of speech only goes as far as I'm willing to extend it, and your sad, pathetic trolling has gone on much further than most people would have allowed. I've let you hang yourself with your own words, but you tire me and you bring this whole place down, so we're done. Oooooh! It's going to cost me hits! Ooooh! So what. The people that would stay away due to a piece of crap like you aren't the people I want here anyway.
Not to say that I've deleted your last post. No, it's still sitting in the Moderate Comments area. While I don't believe you when you say that a former house guest is willing to break the law and accept money to ensure that Marcellas is the first evicted shall he get back into the house, it doesn't hurt to keep the evidence around connecting you to a conspiracy should this actually happen, and I really doubt you're smart enough to fudge your IP address. Even if it's a coincidence, it would be enough for an investigation.
I have no problems with people who disagree with me. I've gone to Gypsylass' board and we've made nice, even though we will never be on the same page when it comes to Marcellas. She said what she wanted to say, I disagreed, it's done. You said what you wanted to say, I disagreed, and you keep coming back and upping the ante, daring me to block a comment. I've been doing this far longer than you can imagine, and I recognized what you're doing for what it is. But guess what? Blocking your comments doesn't bother me. I've given you lots of freedom, and you choose to keep coming back and exploiting that. Well, it's done now. You're done here, and I get the last word. You can now go triumphantly back to whichever hole you crawled out of and trumpet off about your "victory", and how I don't allow freedom of speech.
Most normal people will read this comments section and see how much room I gave you to make an imbecile of yourself. Those that are outraged that I don't allow any more, well, I don't care.
How do I know you just won't sign up with a new alias and start posting from a new IP address? I don't. It doesn't matter. No more negative comments on this subject will be getting through. Again, I don't care. I gave freedom of speech, it was abused, so it's over.

6/02/2006 7:15 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home