Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Welcome to Realivision

Who am I and who the hell do I think I am writing about reality game shows? What are my qualifications? Do I have any references? A resume?
Enough of the questions already. My nom de plume is Tabby. You don't need to know my real name, just be assured that I've never been on Survivor, Big Brother, The Apprentice... Heck, I've never been on television. Not even Cops, though you could see me briefly from behind on the local news once, and no, the story wasn't about me. I do however watch more tv than is good for me, and I like to think I'm relatively smart and might even be a little on the humourous side. Oh, and I'm Canadian so I spell it "humour". That makes me ineligible to go on those shows, and I'm not particularly camera-friendly anyway, so it's not going to happen even if I could.
That means the only plotting and scheming I can do is in my own freakishly deformed head. Season in and season out I scream inwardly at my television when I see horrible mistakes being made, particularly on Survivor and Big Brother, the best of the shows for serious strategy to play out. Lately I've taken to doing my screaming more outwardly on message boards, but that's just not enough anymore. I need to blog this stuff! I just hope it's not too late and we get many more seasons of these great shows.
I won't be doing full recaps. If you want those, the best site on the Net is TVgasm. For a more straightforward recap, the network websites get the job done. CBS.com did manage to get suprisingly funny at times during their Big Brother 6 recaps though.
The assumption here will be that you have watched each episode, or at least read a recap elsewhere. Expect to read strategizing, what the players should have done and what they should do. I'm not a journalist though, so this won't be unbiased. I will have my favourites, and I will cheer unabashedly for them. That's not to say I won't be thinking about the players I want to see out should do or talk about that. They just won't be getting equal time, the bastards.
"Reality game shows". I'm not fond of the term "reality show" in reference to these programs, but at the same time they're not regular old game shows (Big bucks! No Whammy!), so instead I call them "reality game shows". There you go.

***

June 21st, write it down in your diaries. Julie Chen will be back with a special episode of Big Brother, introducing for the first time the 20 former House Guests hoping to get back in the house for Big Brother: All-Stars. The viewers will then get to vote back in their favourites, so expect to see Kaysar back should he decide to try a third time. Hey, I was a fan of the guy myself, but if he goes back in and doesn't win, he'll set a new record for evictions, one he currently shares with Amy from Big Brother 3.
Personally I'm cheering for Brittany from the original BB to go back in and try her hand at the way the game is currently played, but from what I've been reading online, I shouldn't hold my breath. As long as the first season is represented though. As Survivor showed us, an All-Stars season can be a little tepid at times, but with one or two players in the house who have never dealt with the strategy and scheming aspect of the game, things could still remain somewhat fresh.
But I digress. Tune in on June 21st, and voting closes June 28th. We then get to hold our collective breath until Thursday, July 6th when the season proper starts. I'll be there, and if you're still reading this, you probably will be too.

***

So will this be the only post until June 21st? Hopefully not. I will be trying for some content before then. Stay tuned for that.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tabby is one of the best reads around, imo. Very funny and at the same time shows a tremendous amount of respect for the people the rest of us joyfully criticize and condemn with out mercy. Tabby is a class act, I'm so excited to read her thoughts as the season unfolds. If you love watching people then you will love ready Tabby's writings.

5/25/2006 7:18 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tabby can i call u sb still here?


Lol well i hope u have fun this year with blogging and also ur blog will be the best ever for blogging.

5/26/2006 1:42 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just wanted you to know I checked you out. ;)

take care girl.


Jules

5/27/2006 5:45 a.m.  
Blogger Tabby said...

Thank you all, especially Mr. or Ms. Anonymous!
Jay, call me SB all you want, just don't be surprised if you confuse people. :D

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy the interview with Marcellas.

5/28/2006 9:04 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would be mister annonymous since I'm a guy, besides it looses the effect when someone that already likes you sings your praises.
hint I know your pet peeve is the word lose and it grates on your nerves when people make that mistake, what loosers!! hahahaha!!!

5/28/2006 12:23 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. loved the interview love Marcellas, am I selfish to want him on House Calls?

5/28/2006 12:29 p.m.  
Blogger Marysafan said...

Hey there Tabby! Love your blog! I'm glad you are a Big Brother fan, I can't wait to read your take on the All Stars.

Speaking of All Stars, many thanks to you for hoooking me up with the most awesome chat last night. I found the link to James' site in in your interview. Last night they had a chat there with James, Howie, Rachel, Nicole BB2, Diane BB5, Dana and Jun of BB4, and Marcellus BB3.

It was so much fun! I just can't wait for tomorrow night when we get the list of 20! Then it will be major league campaigning.

6/20/2006 4:58 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home