Friday, June 02, 2006

So You Think You Can Dance - Air Date June 1

Back to Chicago, more auditions. I wouldn't even be writing this one up if it weren't for two things.
First, the only time I've disagreed with the judges on a dancer. Granted, they have years of dance training and work in the industry, and I warm a couch pretty well, but I still have to take issue with this one. Knowlton Haaland sells meat by the roadside. Buying meat by a roadside is something I never want to think about, but that's not important. I thought the guy could dance. The thing was, he was hilarious. Hugely entertaining, and he had rhythm. But I think the comedy in his performance had a negative influence on how he was judged, and he got rejected right there.
Now I'm not saying he should have gone straight through to Las Vegas, but come on, doesn't the man get a chance in the choreography round? I'd have loved to see what he could do there, see how serious he could be and if he could do any other moves. Ah, what do I know? I'm not the professional.
Which brings me to the second thing. Professionals. To be precise, professionals and age. One thing I've noticed in two seasons of this series, with one exception last year, if you're in your thirties and not a professional dancer, why even try? "Follow your dreams and you can succeed in anything" works well for children, but out in the real world you need to work hard, and sometimes train hard to make your dreams come true. And sometimes you even need a little talent. If you haven't succeeded as a dancer by the time you turn 30, I'm not saying you still can't, but the chances are you're not going to get past the auditions on So You Think You Can Dance.
I could be wrong. Again, I'm not a dance professional, and I've only got the auditions I've seen to base any of this one, but still. Train. Please!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anyone know what the music was that Knowlton danced to?

6/20/2006 7:23 a.m.  
Blogger Tabby said...

Sorry, I don't even remember the music. The dance, yes. But not the music.

6/20/2006 10:40 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the song is "you dropped the bomb on me" by the gap band.

10/12/2006 3:48 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home