Thursday, June 01, 2006

Canada's Next Top Model - Air Date May 31

I've seen a total of one episode of America's Next Top Model, and the premier of the northern version of the show struck me as exactly the same. Except with a bunch of Canadians and hosted by Tricia Helfer of Battlestar Galactica fame. I've got no issues with her as a host, she did a good job at it, but the show would be much more entertaining if she did the hosting as her BG character, Number Six the Cylon. She could take turns seducing and berating the contestants, and when one of them doesn't make the cut, she kills them! Whooooo, that would be exciting!
As it is we get a show that riled up my feminist principles at times, and reminded me why I'm no fan of the modelling industry. When hearing "sometimes half an inch makes all the difference", all I could think of were eating disorders. There is a reason there is a stereotype of models and leaves of lettuce. Any industry where half an inch of size on a woman means that much really needs to take a good hard look at itself.
But enough of the politics and outrage, huh? I won't get into how I feel when contestants were lectured on how to dress "appropriately" when going out, but I do agree that one should dress appropriately when trying to get a job, particularly a nice, lucrative one.
They started the show with each woman showing her catwalk strut, and the one who did best got first choice of beds in the house. I don't know how much of the show I'll be watching, but I can't even bother with learning names at this point.
Soon after some guy from somewhere (at this point I received a phone call from some survey company wanting to send me a video to watch and evaluate, but I said no as that would require giving my name and address to a stranger over the phone). He looked at some Polaroids and picked who he thought had the best chance of winning the whole thing. Coincidentally it was the same woman who won the catwalk strut. The other contestants did not look pleased.
A houseful of catty women worrying about what they eat and how they dress. No, this isn't going to help set the women's movement back any, not at all.
They then did a photo shoot dressed up as "rock goddesses" and some did better than others...
Look, I'm sorry. I just can't bring myself to care for this show. Maybe I'll give a second episode a chance, maybe I won't. There's only three more weeks until Big Brother: All-Stars, and I've got Last Comic Standing and So You Think You Can Dance to keep me occupied until then. But please don't take it as a personal insult if you like the Top Model shows. Different people with different tastes. If it wasn't for that, Jim Belushi would be out of a job, and anything that keeps him off the streets is okay by me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home